COVID-19 brought the world to a standstill in 2020 and is still devastating the world in 2021. Throughout the pandemic, we have worked closely with the sector's associations, our members, and also Governments to restart the Travel & Tourism sector.
During the pandemic, we:
- launched our SafeTravels Protocols and Stamp in May 2020 due to the need for a globally coordinated approach to recovery.
- hold bi-weekly calls with all the key associations in the sector including; Airports Council International (ACI), Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA), Duty Free World Council (DFWC), International Air Transport Association (IATA), Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA), United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO), U.S. Travel Association (USTA) and World Economic Forum (WEF).
- hold weekly calls with our WTTC members, during which governments across the world have been presenting what they are doing in their countries to help restart the sector.
- participate in events & webinars alongside associations, governments, and our members discussing recovery and restart.
- worked alongside the G20 to create the G20's Public & Private Sector 100 Million Jobs Recovery Plan.
- hold meetings with Governments across the world as well as sent numerous letters outlining the urgent needs from the private sector.
- launched our #TogetherInTravel global campaign series to encourage the sharing of travel stories and with our latest video in the series, focusing on reuniting.
- launched our #ONEin330Million campaign focuses on giving a voice to someone whose livelihood was affected by the pandemic.
- Released our Lessons Learnt from the COVID-19 pandemic and the measures put in place to manage the spread of the virus.
- Release our Government COVID-19 Travel Policies report highlighting policies and practices that have effectively enabled Travel & Tourism and helped safeguard jobs in the wake of COVID-19.
- participate in many association campaigns, including, #OpenUpToEurope from the European Tourism Commission (ETC) focusing on reopening European tourism and a revival of travel confidence.
Given the threat COVID-19 poses to businesses, governments, and communities around the world, it is essential to understand and project the ever-evolving context to be able to make strategic, effective, and timely decision-making to re-open the sector responsibly. Oliver Wyman’s COVID-19 Pandemic Navigator
is an actionable forecasting tool cited by the Reich Lab COVID-19 Forecast Hub
and the CDC
as a leader in providing real-time data and forecasts using time-dependent parameters across 90+ countries and sub-regions.